HOW TO PREPARE FOR MOLE CHECK
The MelanomaMobil mole check with mole-mapping takes 30 minutes on site. It is thorough, totally non-invasive and painless. Here is a list of useful tips and ideas to consider before coming to the mole check:
- During the mole check you will be required to undress to your underwear. Ladies will have to remove bras as well.
- Every single mole will be recorded during screening.
- If you have any moles that are located under your underwear, please inform the screening doctor.
- Gentlemen should wear shorts that do not cover their upper thighs.
- Please remove every piece of jewellery, particularly bracelets or necklaces that might cover your skin.
- We ask our patients, particularly women with long, thick hair, to identify any possible skin changes on the scalp prior to attending the examination. Please ask a family member to examine your scalp the day before the mole check.
- If you have identified any moles on your scalp, please inform the screening doctor.
- Ladies with long hair should tie their hair up for the examination so that it does not cover their skin.
- We always examine the scalp of gentlemen who generally have shorter hair.
- Before the mole check do not put on a make-up base that would cover up or lighten your moles.
- On the morning of your appointment do not use body lotion or hand lotion on your skin, as the grease can cover the lens of the digital dermatoscope (a camera that touches the skin) and can make the mole check more difficult.
- It is fine to eat before your mole check appointment.
5. MOLE CHECK OF CHILDREN:
- Parents should accompany their children to the examination, because they are better able to answer questions regarding genetic and lifestyle factors that have a major influence on risk levels. We are not able to examine children under the age of 16 without the presence of an accompanying adult.
6. MOLE CHECK OF PREGNANT WOMEN:
- We would recommend pregnant women to be examined because the hormonal changes during pregnancy may trigger changes in your moles.
- The mole check method we use at MelanomaMobil is completely safe for the unborn child and mother.
- Please arrive 5 minutes before your scheduled appointment.